Tuesday, January 28, 2014

I am the Next Governor of Lagos State-Dupe Onitiri

 Mrs. Dupe Onitiri Abiola One of the wives of  late Chief MKO Abiola has said most of the issues confronting Lagos State and the country in entirety would require only few months to resolve under the watch of a dedicated leader.
In an interview with a citizen journalist, Segun O’Law in Lagos recently, Mrs. Onitiri who disclosed that she would contest for Lagos governorship declared that she has a formula that would solve electricity,
Excerpts from the interview


* We have known electricity as an age long problem. Having come this while, where do you think we go from here; what is solution, electricity wise?

Mrs. Onitiri-Abiola : I am very particular about Lagos State. This is because if you have power in all states of the country and you don’t have it in Lagos State, then you don’t have it yet because Lagos State is the financial capital of this country and Lagos State has the highest population in this country. I don’t know what the census is saying but you know, it’s a matter for the eyes. You know, the Yoruba says it is what you see. Lagos has the highest potentials and when you look very well, you cannot overlook Lagos State.  So, if the President is talking about electricity, he really must concentrate on Lagos State. I don’t want to say what the President or Governor needs to do, it is in their watch. When it’s in my watch, I know what to do and I believe by the special grace of God, we will have 24/7 electricity in this State.

* How is that going to happen?

Mrs. Onitiri-Abiola: That is why I said as an investor; you know what you are going into. For me, as a leader, I know what I am going into. I know the problem and this [electricity] is the major problem now. I know this because I do my field work. I go to places and check with people what the problem is. I was in a place and they had not seen light in three months. I have been to the fields and I know what is on the ground, it is not just what the leaders give on paper, no. I am not reading this from the files, I am actually on the ground. I go out, I talk to people, I see it myself and it’s happening to me too. I know what the problems are, I know what to do and it is not impossible to do. There are countries that have 24/7 electricity, so why should it be impossible in Nigeria?

* In clear terms, do you want to invest in the electricity sector now or do you simply want to join politics and use State resource because you sound so involved, as though you really want to do something about this?

Mrs. Onitiri-Abiola: Well, when we talk about buying anything, you know, the Government already sold the assets to the people they wanted to sell to, although you wonder why they sold to some of them who bought the assets. It is just like democracy in this country. When we were fighting for Democracy, the people that were totally against it are the people that are benefiting from it now. And if you look at the issue of electricity, some of the people they sold it to are questionable. But then, they’ve sold it already, they’ve taken the action already. Now we only have some months into another general election and as I always said, by the special grace of God, I am the next Governor of Lagos State. And as the Governor of Lagos State, I know what to do. I already have my blueprint, and by the grace of God, what I am going to do in the first four years, I already have it in my hands. We are going to fix electricity and we are not going to give excuses, you know, it’s not like it’s impossible, we can do it… this country can do it.
Let me cite an example of possibilities here. During the ASUU crisis, the Government said it was impossible to give the lecturers the required money, that the system would collapse and heavens would fall and all sorts. But good enough, the leadership of ASUU stood their ground for the sake of the present and future of the education system. And now, it has happened, they got it and the system has not collapsed, heaven has not fallen. How can anything be impossible with all the money and brains we have in this country? How can electricity be impossible in Nigeria?

* Did you say you will be contesting as Governor of Lagos State in 2015?

Mrs. Onitiri-Abiola: By the special grace of God, and I know I am the next governor.
 "saharareporters"

No comments:

Post a Comment